Camilla's Journey Tracker

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Tuesday 9 October 2012

It’s All About Attitude

What a strong starting point. How we travel on each of our individual journeys depends greatly on our attitude.

Is the glass half empty? Half full?

Do you always look on the bright side?

Does every cloud have a silver lining?

Pessimism sucks the life right out of me these days. Negative people with victim mentalities frustrate me.

Don’t complain about results you didn’t get by work you didn’t do.

We all have a choice. Our attitude is a choice. Choose your attitude and you can achieve almost anything.

Did you know that when talking to animals, it’s not as much what you say, but rather how you say it. It’s like talking to people who don’t understand your language. If you keep calm, speak slowly in a nice voice, most people will make a positive interpretation. If you raise your voice, wave your finger around in the air, most will assume you are aggressive and the words are irrelevant.

What message do you put across when you talk to people? Does this change depending on who you’re talking to?

I’ve had some rather ‘heated discussions’ of late because I’m not used to the raising of the voice or pointing of fingers and it irks me. I don’t really care what the words are, but those actions alone get me angry, and then I respond accordingly. Looking back, I believe nearly all the discussions could have been handled better by all parties involved. I don’t believe in making things personal unless  there is absolutely no other way to do it. I also believe in putting all cards on the table.

I’m naturally a negotiator. This means that if an outcome or situation is not to my liking, I will more than likely negotiate a more suitable outcome or I will negotiate myself out of it all together. This applies to both my personal and professional life.

This means at times, people might think what I’m doing makes me a door mat. In fact some people interpret it as being a doormat and they then start to treat me like that.

I’m not a doormat. I am not void of feeling.

Just because words hurt me and I don’t automatically react flailing my arms around hysterically, doesn’t mean it’s okay.

I choose my attitude. Lately I’ve forgotten to choose and I’ve just taken on whatever attitude has been floating around. This hasn’t proved to be the best way for me to manage things. I choose to get up in the morning smiling and looking forward to the day regardless of whether it’s Monday or Saturday. I choose to make the most out of my day. I choose to communicate with those I care about. I choose not to get angry when someone cuts me off, because what does that prove? Does it change what happened?
The old adage – There’s no point in crying over spilt milk.

So, so true. Don’t get upset by things you can’t control. Yes, death and illness will always upset us, but don’t let anything else do it. Control your emotions, control your feelings and choose your attitude. Try it for a few days and see how you go – my world is definitely better for it.

If you get up and don’t feel like smiling, do it anyway, even just for the first hour. You’ll find that once you do, you’ll be smiling all day. Fake it till you make it. It’s amazing the power a single smile can have.

1 comment: