Camilla's Journey Tracker

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Nine letters - _a_p_n_ss

Happiness.
What is it?
What defines being happy?
Is it a place, is it a person?
Is it a combination?
What makes someone happy?

Happiness is on the agenda today after a conversation with a good friend of mine via email this morning. I was given some very spot on advice:

“You need to rediscover what really makes you happy, and then do it!! When you’re happy, the rest will start falling into place”

My initial response was: “What makes me happy? How do I figure that out?”

My friend advised it has to be pure happiness, not happiness that is dependent on others or on things I can’t control. Focus on what you can.

This set my mind off in a flurry. I’d had happy moments over the last few years, but could I honestly say that I knew how to make myself happy? How to find my true self’s happiness?

I had no idea where to start. You may as well have removed my mouth and then asked me to speak. I didn’t even know where to begin. Now, some seven or so hours later, I wasn’t much clearer. Have I focussed so much on other things that I don’t even know what makes me, me?

I love gardening. I believe gardening makes me happy but I seldom get a chance to play in the dirt. Between two jobs and fitting in exercise and everything else it just doesn’t get priority.
 



Reading. I can get lost in books for hours, days almost – I can’t remember the last book I read. Once again, I just don’t have the time.

I love to cook and to bake, and I rarely spend a lot of time on that either.

Have become so muddled up in my physical goals that I’m ignoring my soul and what makes me happy? I’m sure there must be other things that make me happy that I just haven’t considered.

I’ve been told many times that I have it easy. You have no kids nor husband, your life is easy and you must have so much time to do exactly what you want. Are you serious? Yes, I’m not married, I don’t have children, but that doesn’t automatically mean I’m given more time. I think I’ve mentioned recently that we all get the same amount of time, it’s how we manage it that makes a difference.

Before I step off the trodden track, let’s get back to happiness.

How do you fit your ‘happy activities’ that are just for you and make you who you are? How do you define these activities? Do you put them on the backburner and seldom get back to them? Are you able to list, right now, at least ten things that make you happy and at peace with yourself and that aren’t dependant on others? It’s not as easy as you think…

No comments:

Post a Comment